Powered by WebRing.

Tuesday, July 31

Foundry Ancient British Chariots 28mm

I have had these on the shelf gathering dust for several years now. It's not that they are bad figures - far from it. It's because I have no use for them.

As with almost every other war gamer I know, I get enthusiasms, buy figures and before I get round to painting them the enthusiasm wanes and I am on to the next big thing. I have got better but my head can still be turned by an nice new range and well sculpted figures.

These figures date from my Ancient British army project, which would have given me an opponent for my Early Imperial Romans. However I lost motivation way before I finished. These chariots were amongst the first I completed and they are among my favourite Foundry figures.



Above is an Ancient British Queen leading her troops into battle. What would an Ancient British army be without a woman warrior!



Two styles of chariot were available at the time. The difference was in the side panels. The picture above shows one design and the next two pictures illustrate the other.






I believe there were 2 drivers and 4 crew figures available, so you could get a lot of movement in the chariot cab, however the range of horses was limited and this was a disappointment (The Queen came with her own driver - naked apart from his looted Roman helmet and horses with braided manes).


They were also quite expensive, fiddly to put together (especially the reins) and very time consuming to paint.

The combination of checks, lines, stripes worn by the fashion conscious British really can give an excellent impression but plays havoc with your patience and eyesight.

Last Bunny Rating: 8.5 out of 10. (It would have been 9.5 but I deducted them a point because of the expense.)

I should say here that I don't buy from Foundry any more so I can't say if they are still available.

1 comment:

Oscar1986 said...

Chariots my favorite on site, keep it up :)